2011 has turned into a landmark year for video games. Never has so many AAA games come our way, that gamers are actually overwhelmed by options. Reviews and preliminary sales data are in are often used to determine the best games of the year, but we at Raptr believe that when it comes down to it, the true gauge of a game worthy of your time, is the one you spend your precious time playing the most. That was the thinking behind our inaugural Raptr Awards!
Check out the winners below!
The recipients of 2011 Raptr Awards are as follows:
- Most Played Game – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
- Most Played Shooter – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
- Most Played RPG – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
- Most Played Open-World Game – Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
- Most Played Sports Game – FIFA 12 (EA Sports)
- Most Played Social Game – The Sims Social (EA Play)
- Most Played New IP – L.A. Noire (Rockstar)
- Most Successful Paid to Free-to-Play Game – DC Universe Online (Sony Online Entertainment)
Highlights from the report include:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 earned 2x more total playtime in its opening month than Battlefield 3 did in its opening month.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim dominated the RPG category with 6x more total playtime than the closest competitor.
- DC Universe Online experienced a 2500% increase in total playtime per day after switching from a subscription business model to free-2-play.
- The Sims Social accumulated the most playtime in its opening month than all other social games released in 2011 in their respective opening months.
For more info on how we picked each winner and what criteria we used, check out our methodology summarized in our report.
What was your most played game of 2011?